This winter we have been all about eating fresh and seasonal ingredients that are light, bright, and colorful. One example is this easy and delicious Skirt Steak Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette. We teamed up with our favorite olive oil brand, Filippo Berio, to create this dish, and used it to sear the steak and for the vinaigrette. We topped our salad off with creamy blue cheese and crunchy pomegranate seeds before serving.
This is a perfect recipe for entertaining during the holidays and adding pomegranate is a simple twist on a traditional green salad with vinaigrette. Ready in around 30 minutes, this recipe is a personal family favorite that is sure to be a real crowd pleaser. The bright greens and reds are colorful, and the flavor and textures are beautifully paired.
How to cook skirt steak
For perfectly cooked skirt steak, you will need the following: a cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet, Filippo Berio Olive Oil, and simple seasonings such as kosher salt, ground black pepper, and garlic.
A first important step if you are using cast iron is to preheat the skillet. Once the cast iron skillet starts to smoke a little, you can carefully add the olive oil. We used two tablespoons of Filippo Berio Olive Oil to sear and cook the steak. Depending on the doneness, cook the steak for 3 to 5 minutes on each side to 120 F for rare/medium rare and 130 F for medium.
After cooking the steak, transfer it to a cutting board and let it rest for around 10 to 15 minutes. While the steak is resting is the perfect time to pull out the rest of your ingredients for the salad and prepare the Pomegranate Vinaigrette.
How to make Pomegranate Vinaigrette
We love a classic vinaigrette for salads, but it’s always fun to mix it up by incorporating new, fun flavors. Pomegranates are currently in season, so we wanted to take advantage by making a pomegranate-infused dressing. Using high quality ingredients that are easily accessible, such as Filippo Berio Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, is essential to making a great vinaigrette.
Start by adding Filippo Berio Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil to a medium bowl. Add in your pomegranate juice, balsamic vinegar, spicy brown mustard, and salt, and whisk until all ingredients are well incorporated. Do a taste test and adjust ingredients as needed.
We always make dressing right before serving so that’s it’s fresh, but you can also store in the refrigerator for a couple days. Just make sure to shake well before using. Drizzle the Pomegranate Vinaigrette over your salad and enjoy!
The best salad toppings
In addition to the skirt steak and vinaigrette, one of our favorite things about this healthful salad are the delicious toppings. We kept it simple with blue cheese crumbles and pomegranate seeds, but you can make it your own by adding some of your favorite salad toppings. A few variations that we recommend are: feta, goat cheese, strawberries, pine nuts, and walnuts.
Our favorite healthy recipes
Check out some of our other healthy and delicious recipes using Filippo Berio Olive Oil here:
If you happen to try this recipe at home, tag us and Filippo Berio at @cookswithsoul and @filippoberio_us. We’d love to see what you’ve come up with!Print
- 1 pound skirt steak
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 8 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds, or 1 pomegranate
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup 100% pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon Filippo Berio Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Season steak with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Carefully add Filippo Berio Olive Oil to hot skillet.
- Sear steak in skillet until browned, about 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook 3 to 5 minutes
more, or until steak reaches an interval temperature of 130 F.
- Transfer steak to cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Arrange salad by dividing arugula onto four serving plates. Top with slices of skirt steak,
blue cheese, and pomegranate seeds.
- Prepare dressing by whisking together Filippo Berio Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, pomegranate juice, Filippo Berio Balsamic Vinegar, spicy brown mustard, and kosher salt in a medium bowl. Continue whisking until an emulsion forms and the vinaigrette is well incorporated. Drizzle salad with pomegranate vinaigrette and serve immediately.
Keywords: salad, olive oil, skirt steak, pomegranate