We sort of have a love affair with waffles.
These delicious waffles are made with walnuts folded into the batter and topped with a sweet, cinnamon-apple compote. Are you drooling yet? They are golden and crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside, with a nutty texture to round it out. We especially love the warm apple drizzle topping, which makes syrup obsolete.
If you happen to try this recipe at home, let us know! Comment on a post and tag us on Instagram or Facebook using #cookswithsoul. We’d love to hear from you.
Walnut Waffles with Warm Apple Compote
Yield 4 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Apple Compote Topping
- 2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add butter and apples, and stir until butter is melted. Add sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir and saute apples until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Turn heat off and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt in a bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together buttermilk, eggs, and butter. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture. Fold in walnuts and stir to combine.
- Preheat a lightly oiled waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Pour batter onto waffle iron, close, and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Top waffles with apple compote topping and serve.