Rich and decadent natural date caramel balls dipped in dark chocolate are a delicious, healthy treat for Valentine’s Day. These energy boosting bites are vegan-friendly and mom approved. Add sprinkles or top with sea salt for flavor.
We have six kids under the age of 10 living under our roof. So when holidays like Valentine’s Day roll around, we end up breaking a sweat trying to carefully separate the perforated Valentine cards we picked up from the dollar store, taping lollipops to the cards, and helping our preschoolers sign their names (before we give up and sign their names for them). Lest we forget the hours spent trying to craft the perfect box to collect cards from their classmates. Wrapping paper, stickers, and confetti are just to name a few of the supplies needed to pull this off. It’s usually a two day affair. Exhausting!
That’s why I love these 5-ingredient date caramel bites covered in dark chocolate. These little balls of energy are so delicious that they makes you forget they’re actually healthyish. The nutritional value is high thanks to all the vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Dates are also helpful in significantly boosting energy levels. It’s the perfect snack for Valentine’s Day, or any other day. It satisfies my cravings, which is super helpful for those times I really don’t have time to stop for a snack. Plus, they’re very kid friendly.
In order to make these delicious, vegan-friendly date caramel balls, all you need are dates, dark chocolate chips, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and coconut milk. I added sprinkles to be festive for the holidays, but usually I leave them plain, or sprinkle with a little sea salt. I also leave mine in the freezer, but you may choose to chill yours in the fridge. Either way, they’re pretty amazing. You (or your lover) is sure to enjoy them very much!
Date Caramel Energy Balls with Dark Chocolate (Vegan)
Rich and decadent natural date caramel balls dipped in dark chocolate are a delicious, healthy treat for Valentine's Day. These energy boosting bites are vegan-friendly and mom approved. Add sprinkles or top with sea salt for flavor
- 1 cup pitted mejool dates
- 1/4 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips, melted
- sprinkles (optional)
- Soak dates in very hot water for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer drained dates to a blender. Add coconut milk, oil and vanilla extract. Blend until a smooth paste forms.
- Place date mixture in a freezer safe container. Freeze until firm and pliable, at least 3 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll teaspoons of date mixture into balls and place on parchment paper.
- Transfer baking sheet to freezer.
- Add 1” of water to a medium saucepan or pot and bring to a very gentle simmer. Place a heat-safe bowl on top of the pot so that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water.
- Add the dark chocolate chips to the bowl and stir occasionally with a spatula until smooth and melted.
- Remove the bowl from the heat. One at a time, roll each date ball into the chocolate and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add sprinkles and place in the freezer until the chocolate coating is firm.