To celebrate our one year anniversary, and since Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, I’m sharing with you these chocolate sweet potato brownies. Because, well, chocolate is for lovers.
Marrekus and I recently celebrated our wedding anniversary! We got married one year ago in New Orleans, right in front the gorgeous wrought iron gate entrance to the historic Jackson Square Park in the French Quarter.
The first six months of our marriage were spent apart because of his job. Eight thousand miles apart to be exact. Regular FaceTime sessions helped with the distance, but it wasn’t easy. Some days were really hard. We missed out on sharing birthdays and holidays together, not to mention the honeymoon stage that most couples get experience. Still, Marrekus would still find ways to make these moments special, like that time he surprised me by mailing 12 boxes of my favorite dark chocolate candy to the house.
Our reunion this past the summer was also crazy because we were blending our families for the very first time, getting used to sharing our space again, starting this blog, and moving across the country less than two weeks after he returned home. Year one was challenging. Yet, I can’t think of a better partner to have by my side, who knows me better than I know myself, and will do anything to put a smile on my face (and literally as I am writing this post, guess who just walked in the door and surprised me with a box of chocolate!).
These brownies are so delicious, fudgy, moist, and gooey. They remind me of these chocolate cupcakes I made while Marrekus was away. The frosting was made from pureed sweet potato and cocoa. Only this time, I get to share that experience with him.
Not only are sweet potatoes packed with a chock full of super powers, but they are also very versatile when preparing. The sweet flavor and velvety texture when pureed makes it the perfect secret ingredient to this chocolatey dessert.
I used the basics: oil, sugar, eggs, cocoa powder, flour, etc. I also added one medium sweet potato (skinned, boiled, and mashed). This is a quick and easy dessert you can make when you’re craving something good. Share it with someone you love!
Chocolate Sweet Potato Brownies
Yield 6 servings
Fudgy, moist, and gooey chocolate brownies and made with sweet potato.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 medium sweet potato, mashed and pureed
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup organic, fair trade baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Mix oil and sugar in a large bowl with an electric handheld mixer until well blended. Add eggs and sweet potato puree; mix until well combined.
- Combine baking powder, cocoa powder, salt, and flour in a separate bowl. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Pour batter into greased pan and Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through and the sides begin to pull away from the pan.
- Cool completely before slicing.