Our delicious meat and vegetable stew with fluffy dumplings is the perfect comfort food for cold weather days. Made with shredded chicken, celery, carrot, and onion, and seasoned with zesty Cajun spices, this hearty dish is surely to give you all the feels.
We’ve been in Florida for six months and loving it… But no one told us that it gets this freaking cold in the winter! In our town, we’ve even come close to freezing temps at night. I know my midwest friends may be giving us some side eye right now, (hey, Chicago) because they’re below zero. But seriously, we’re right around the corner from the beach and on a hard freeze warning. Never knew that was a thing.
Our Chicken and Dumplings recipe is exactly the type of comfort food we love to enjoy in this cold weather. It’s a delicious Southern staple that my husband grew up on. My first time trying it was when we started dating (West Coast problems). It’s so creamy and delicious, it’s always a real treat when he makes it. I especially love the light and fluffy dumplings. This recipe is so good, even the pickiest of eaters will love it.
If you happen to try this recipe at home, let us know! Comment on a post and tag us on Instagram or Facebook using #cookswithsoul. We’d love to hear from you.
Chicken and Dumplings
Yield 6 servings
- 3 pounds chicken leg quarters
- 2 celery stalks, leaves removed, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 5 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups Original Bisquick™ mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- Remove and discard excess fat and skin, if desired, from chicken. Place chicken, celery, carrot, onion, parsley, Cajun seasoning and water in a 4 or 5-quart Dutch oven. Cover and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, or until juice of chicken runs clear.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from pot. Remove meat from bone and shred chicken. .Skim 1/2 cup fat from broth and reserve. Transfer broth to large bowl and reserve 4 cups. You can save remaining broth for later use!
- In the same Dutch oven, heat reserved 1/2 cup fat over low heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the Bisquick mix. Cook and stir until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in reserved 4 cups broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add shredded chicken and vegetables, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes, until piping hot.
- In medium bowl, stir remaining 2 cups Bisquick mix and milk with wire whisk until a soft dough forms. Drop dough by large spoonfuls onto hot chicken mixture (not directly into liquid). Cook uncovered over low heat for 10 minutes. Cover and cook for 10 minutes longer.
- Divide chicken and dumplings into bowls and serve immediately.
Cuisine southern, comfort food